California Healthy Surveys measure youth health, risk behavior, and resilience & positive school climate from the perception of students, parents, and all school staff.
May 2015 News2015 OUSD breaks all CHKS participation records!The OUSD California Healthy Kids' Survey of 2015 shows teamwork and committment!We surveyed:
- Parents and Caregivers of all schools K-12
- All Certificated and Classified Staff K-12
- 5th grade, 7th, 9th and 11th grade students
- High achieving schools surveyed all their students from 5th to 12th grade.Thank you for being part of the solution to make OUSD an outstanding school district!What did we accomplish this year?We collected more OUSD relevant data than ever before!Parent Survey : 42% of OUSD Families took survey .... 15,736 of 37, 830(Goal 35%)Staff Survey : 97% of OUSD school site staff took survey .... 2246 of 2316(Goal 80%)Student Survey : 81% of OUSD students 5th, 7th, 9th & 11th graders took survey .... 9480 of 11,768(Goal 65%)About this year's surveys:
- Each survey and it's questions were designed specifically for OUSD's Pathway to Excellence Plan
- New Parent Survey
- New Staff Survey
- New Student Surveys2014-15 Student Survey Questions:Special thanks to all parents, students and our hard working staff who have built a powerful set of data that measures the success of our Community Schools, Thriving Students, & Continuous Improvement driven initiatives.
Thank you all!Data Driven Decision Making Steps:1) WestEd, our state partner, tallies all of the parent, student, and staff entered data and returns it to us in raw form.2) Our QAA staff build our reports that school leaders utilize in the development of their site plans for 2014-15.3) All OUSD departments meet in discussions over all OUSD comprehensive data sets including California Healthy Kids Data to allocate resources and devise strategies for Continuous Improvement.Our Surveys:Our Elementary, Secondary and Staff Surveys have been redisigned to grab the data meaningful for Continuous Improvement of our Community Schools, Thriving Students, School District.OverviewThe California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS) is a comprehensive youth risk behavior, resilience and positive school climate data collection service available to all California local education agencies (it is also available outside of California). It consists of a modular survey instrument tied to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Youth Risk Behavior Survey and to WestEd's California Student Survey, together with a full-service survey support system. Separate elementary, middle, and high school versions are taken.Since 1999, an integrated CHKS statewide representative sample has replaced both the California Student Survey and the Youth Risk Behavior Survey in California.HistoryOUSD has administered the California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS) for over a decade. It is now our official District survey and our primary method of gathering feedback from students, staff, and parents in support of serving children.California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS) questions are so well aligned to our Strategic Plan and our goal to have Full-Service Community Schools in every neighborhood. Data will be used to steer the initiatives of the Strategic Plan and the development of Full-Service Community Schools.
StatewideThe California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS) is given to students throughout the state of California, in every school district. It asks students about their health, their habits, and how they feel about being at school.
2013-14OUSD 2013-14 data from February California Healthy Kids Administration
Who took the survey in Feb/Mar of 2014?2013-14 OUSD District Level California Healthy Kids Survey Participation:Parent Survey ... 12,209(36,777 parent/guardians eligible) (18 languages)Staff Survey ... 2300(3049 staff eligible)
Student Survey ... 8328(12,211 students eligible) (5th graders 3072, 2441 7th graders, & 6698 HS students eligible)